It was an easy question, terrorists on the Terrorist Watch List are barred from buying a plane ticket (they are a threat to blow up the plane) but they can LEGALLY buy as many guns as they want including guns that can bring down a plane landing or taking off. Why should we allow this?
I have read the 70 Pro-Gun Responders and no one answered the question. There were many good points raised and reasonable questions asked they deserve responses. It is not possible to reply to each individual comment but what I have done is to collect the major ones (most repeated) and I will respond to them in a series of posts either daily or every 2 nd or 3 rd day until I have gone through all. (BTW, there were a number of jerks writing their hate filled rants complete with name calling, accusations and threats. Nothing weakens your side’s position more than these public displays showing how crazed so many gun owners are; the public will cringe at the idea of such unbalanced people owning guns. That is not what you want. As for me, they are boring to read, like a child’s rants, so do us both a favor and stop sending these types of comments.)
I want to get a few things straight before I start my series of responses.
- DO NOT EVER accuse me of being unpatriotic. My son was a combat medic with our Special Forces. He was on the most dangerous missions in the most dangerous places you could imagine. His mission was always to defend every American’s right to be free and to be able to say what they want. He was a veteran of Desert Storm and I was, and remain, incredibly proud of what he stood for and fought for.My son was murdered by a gun while having dinner with his wife in a restaurant in San Diego. The murderer was a paranoid schizophrenic who had legally obtained the gun as a result of one of our insane gun laws. If you are involuntarily committed to a mental institution you are barred from owning a gun. But if you commit yourself (as did my son’s murderer on two separate occasions) then you do not lose your 2A right. Tell me why this makes any sense. It took my son’s story being shown on America’s Most Wanted to catch his killer who then unsuccessfully tried to commit suicide in jail. The killer is in prison and will not be eligible to apply for parole for 76 years. He will be 118 by then.
- Do not say my facts are wrong, untruthful or false without being specific as to which fact(s) you are referring to. Blind accusations are worthless and if you cite what you are concerned about I will respond. Enormous research supports every statement of fact on our website www.gunvictimsaction.org . So much research that I have $25 for the first person who cites a specific fact with supporting evidence that is incorrect.
- To find out what gun a person on the terrorist watch list can legally buy, go to The Firearm Blog http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/ a serious and excellent source of all things Firearm. Ask the question and you will get the answer you seek.
- To those of you who raised the presumption of innocence as a reason people on the Terrorist watch list should not be barred from buying guns, nor should they be barred from buying a plane ticket my question is this. Would you and/or your loved ones be up for flying on a on a plane with these people or are you glad they cannot be a threat?
- For those of you who made the point that there are people improperly placed on the Terrorist Watch List that is true. The data shows that 2% of the people on the list are there incorrectly. Anyone incorrectly on can asked to be removed, the process takes about 2 months and for me that is a layer of security I am happy to have. For the NRA the idea of waiting 2 months to buy a gun is unconscionable. Their position, better we have terror threats buying guns then being certain they should not be on the Terrorist Watch List.
- To the people who categorized us as “gun grabbers” I suspect that you did not see the following on the home page of our website:
Sane gun laws will simultaneously protect the Second Amendment right of the legal gun owner and the non-gun owner’s rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness as written in the Declaration of Independence.
7. To the people who said we had removed their comment, we have not removed a single comment to date, and will not do so unless the comment is obscene, racist, calls for violence etc.
That’s all for now; I will go into specific points /questions asked in future posts.
God Bless America.